Well here is the exploding box I promised to share with you. This was purely a make that I had in my head and wanted to get the idea out, as it was getting in the way of future creations 🙂
The finished box is around 12 cm sq, so not as tall as my usual boxes, but hopefully just as good. It’s a bit different as I love these Visible Image Music stamps. I did purchase the Tonic Studios Rococo Guitar die for this project, but due to the size, it ended up as a brilliant topper!
So here goes, there is quite a bit used in this little box but all worth it!
- Papermill -300 gsm White Card
- Range – 235 gsm Silver Mirra Card
- Patterned card for guitar from stash.
- Clear acetate
- Visible Image – Feel the Beat, Jazz It Up, Rock Out, Sing, Play It Loud, Brick Wall, Universal
- Inkylicious – Prickly Shrubs
- Justrite – Bokeh Time
- Clarity Stamp – Word Chain 3 & 9
- Stampin’ Up – Hardwood
- Tonic Studios – Rococo Guitar
- Memory Box – Party Music, Melody Music
- Spellbinders – Scalloped Circles Large, Labels 21, Labels 38, Labels 46
- Presscut – Happy Birthday
- Tim Holtz Distress Inks:
- Sing – Seedless Preserves, Victorian Velvet, Broken China
- Rock Out – Black Soot, Pumice Stone, Worn Lipstick, Candied Apple
- Jazz It Up – Squeezed Lemonade, Stormy Sky, Peacock Feathers, Twisted Citron
- Play It Loud – Mowed Lawn, Chipped Sapphire, Dusty Concord
- Outer – Pumice Stone
- Wall – Fired Brick
- Floor – Walnut Stain
- Guitar – Love letter, Tuxedo Black
- Sing – Berry Blaze
- Jazz – Riviera
- Trumpet – Spectrum
- Outer – Spectrum
- To make the box
- You can follow the guide from here but use 6 pieces of card:
- 4 for the sides – 14 cm x 14 cm (5.5″ x 5.5″), score at 2 cm (0.79″) and cut corner of each side of the tab to fit all four tabs on bottom when glued.
- 2 for the bottom – 12 cm x 12 cm (4.7″ x 4.7″) to strengthen and cover the tabs glued on the bottom.
- To make the lid:
- cut 1 no 18.2 cm x 18.2 cm (7.2″ x 7.2″) (Please measure the inches to be accurate to fit the box, as these conversations are rounded).
- Score at 3 cm (1.2″) each side and notch out the flaps. Glue flaps to form lid.
- Cut 1 no white card 12 cm x 12 cm (4.7″ x 4.7″), and emboss with brick folder, and distress with pumice stone ink.
- Cut 1 no 11.5 cm x 11.5 cm (4.5″ x 4.5″) silver mirra card and mount white emboss card. Mount this onto the lid.
- Cut 4 no pieces of mirra card 11.5 cm x 2.5 cm (4.5″ x 0.98″).
- Cut 4 no pieces white card 11 cm x 2 cm (4.3″ x 0.79″) and emboss with brick folder. Mount onto silver mirra strip. Mount onto box lid sides.
- Cut out 2 no guitar pieces, 1 in silver mirra card, the other in patterned card of choice. Push out a few elements to mix n match to contrast guitar sections.
- Cut 1 guitar die cut from double sided adhesive, peel one side and stick onto the back of silver guitar. Mount the patterned pieces into the empty sections with the patterned card. Next peel and stick the patterned card onto the back and fill with the remaining pieces. Mount this onto the lid with 2 no very small clear acetate tabs across the center.
- Cut with silver mirra card the Happy Birthday sentiment and glue to lid.
- Decorating the box:
- Cut 9 no 11.5 cm x 11.5 cm (4.5″ x 4.5″) Silver Mirra card.
- Cut 9 no 11 cm x 11 cm (4.3″ x 4.3″) White Card. These will be the panels that you work on to form the backgrounds. Colour and decorate as desired.
- Using 1 of the white panels, stamp with the hardwood floor using walnut stain ink and mount onto one of the silver mirra cards. Cut in half diagonally.
- Stamp in onyx black Versafine ink and fussy cut all five characters from Visible Image stamps, stamp the drummer again in Majestic Blue Versafine and fussy cut.
- Stamp on white card using Kaleidacolor ink the sentiments with each character and cut out using desired die. Decorate as desired.
- Cut a piece of white card 17.2 cm x 13 cm (6.8″ x 5.1″) and stamp the brick wall with fired brick distress ink, both sides, leaving 1 cm white space at the bottom. Cut out section in center. Score across the white area at the bottom and cut in two equal places, Exploding Box Wall Guide.
- Die cut 2 no party music in silver mirra card and glue to brick wall.
- Attach mount tabs to the box floor. Attach the diagonal sections of floor tight against the wall with 3mm sticky pads. This will be the wall support.
- Attach both drummers, one either side of the wall with clear acetate small tabs and glue.
- Mount decorated panels onto the silver mirra card and then mount onto each side as desired.
There we are, one Exploding Music Box. Quite a bit of work, but one of a kind.
This box is now looking for a home, so I hope I can find it a good one!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend